An external review of Engineering IT Shared Services is scheduled for December 9 and 10, 2013. The external review committee was originally charged on May 6, 2013 by then Interim Dean Mike Bragg. The charge included input from the IT Governance Committee and its chair at the time, Andreas Cangellaris (now Dean of Engineering at Illinois). The original timetable was to have an onsite visit in September 2013 and a final formal report delivered by December 2013. This timetable has shifted back three months but the external review process otherwise remains as outlined in the original charge.
- Assess the general quality, productivity, effectiveness of Engineering IT at meeting expectations.
- Identify opportunities for future growth and development and issues on the horizon that Engineering IT should attend to.
- Assess how Engineering IT is doing compared to its peers.
- Analyze Engineering IT’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and challenges.
- Document areas where Engineering IT is doing something particularly noteworthy.
- Paul Killey, Executive Director of Information Technology and CAEN, University of Michigan College of Engineering
- David Carmichael, Director of ECN and Information Technology, Purdue University College of Engineering
- Didier Contis, Director - Technology Services, Georgia Tech College of Engineering
- Paul Hixson, Chief Information Officer, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Engineering IT Self-Study
Engineering IT Shared Services prepared a self-study as part of the external review process. Portions of this self-study will be published at this site in the near future.
Sunday, December 8, 2013
6:00pm – 9:30pm: Dinner and College IT Facilities Tour with Chuck Thompson and Jim Hurst – multiple tour locations; Destihl
Monday, December 9, 2013
- 7:00am – 8:00am: Breakfast and Committee Work Time – 312 Engineering Hall
- 8:00am – 8:30am: Meet with Andreas Cangellaris, Dean, College of Engineering – 312 Engineering Hall
- 8:30am – 9:00am: Meet with Chuck Thompson, CIO, College of Engineering – 312 Engineering Hall
- 9:00am – 10:00am: Meet with College of Engineering Business Administrators (CEBA) – 312 Engineering Hall
- Jeannette Beck (ECE), Aaron Darnall (CS), Vicky Gress (Exec. Asst. Dean for Administration), Brandy Meid (Engr. Admin), Nandini Topudurti (MNTL), Melissa Walters (Physics), John Wierschem (MechSE), Kris Williams (MRL)
- 10:00am – 10:30am: Meet with Unit Heads – 312 Engineering Hall
- Philippe Geubelle (head of Aerospace Engineering), Klara Nahrstedt (acting head of Coordinated Science Lab), Eric Shaffer (assistant director of Computational Science and Engineering), Jim Stubbins (head of Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering)
- 10:30am – 11:30am: Meet with Associate Deans – 312 Engineering Hall
- Bill Bell (Communications) Jennifer Bernhard (Research), Vicky Coverstone (Graduate and Professional Programs), Vicky Gress (Administration), Umberto Ravaioli (Undergraduate Programs), Molly Tracy (Advancement), Bruce Vojak (Administration), Martin Wong (Academic Affairs)
- 11:30am – 12:00pm: Meet with DSAC and EGSAC – 312 Engineering Hall
- DSAC is Dean’s Student Advisory Committee. EGSAC is Engineering Graduate Student Advisory Committee.
- 12:00pm – 1:00pm: Lunch and Committee Work Time – 311 Engineering Hall
- 1:00pm – 1:30pm: Meet with Computer Science Faculty – 2405 Siebel Center
- 1:30pm – 2:00pm: Meet with Engineering IT Leadership Team – 2303 Siebel Center
- Brad Butler (Application Development), Michael Chan (IT Architect), Jay Guelfi (User Services: Research Support), Josh Potts (Web, Application, and Information Services), Dave Ruby (Infrastructure), Joe Zalabak (User Services: Instructional Support)
- 2:00pm – 2:30pm: Meet with Engineering IT Frontline Staff – 2303 Siebel Center
- Rachel Chartoff (Web Designer), Bob Cicone (IT Specialist), Joel Franzen (Senior IT Specialist), Laura Hayden (Senior Web Designer), Brad Mahaffey (User Support Manager), Greg Parks (Senior Web Application Developer), Frank Penrose (Systems Engineer), Manu Pulikkan (IT Specialist), Jack Su (Lead Information Specialist), Danny Tang (Help Desk Services Manager)
- 2:30pm – 3:00pm: Meet with Rob Rutenbar, Head, Department of Computer Science – 2303 Siebel Center
- 3:15pm – 4:00pm: Meet with Campus IT Professionals – L410 DCL
- Alex Breen (Asst. Director, Solution Services - CITES), Mike Bohlmann (Director of IT - College of Media), Stephen Kemp (Manager, User Integrated Services - CITES), Jackie Kern (Assoc. Director of IT - F&S), Drew MacGregor (Manager, Digital Media Services - CITES), Wayland Morgan (IT Security Analyst - CITES), James Quisenberry (Assoc. Dir. of Housing for Technology Services - Housing), Tony Rimovsky (Assoc. Dir., Enterprise Infrastructure - CITES), Michelle Rome (Manager of App. Dev. and Reporting Services - College of LAS), Sean Stevens (Sr. Storage and Backup Admin - CITES), David Zych (Sr. Network Services Engr. - CITES)
- 4:00pm – 5:00pm: Open Forum for Engineering Faculty – 2005 MEL (Deere Pavilion)
- This session include meeting with Dale Van Harlingen, Head, Department of Physics. His original slot did not work due to weather-related travel issues.
- 5:00pm – 5:30pm: Meet with Bill Sanders, Interim Head, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering – 158 Everitt
- 5:30pm – 6:00pm: Committee Work Time – 2303 Siebel Center
- 6:00pm – 7:00pm: Open Forum for Engineering Students – 2405 Siebel Center
- 7:30pm: Dinner and Committee Work Time – Big Grove
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
- 7:00am – 8:00am: Breakfast and Committee Work Time – Perkins
- 8:00am – 9:00am: Open Forum for Engineering Faculty / Committee Work Time – 2405 Siebel Center
- 9:00am – 10:00am: Open Forum for Engineering Staff – 2405 Siebel Center
- 10:00am – 11:00am: Meet with Group of RAs and TAs / Committee Work Time – 2405 Siebel Center
- 11:00am – 11:30am: Meet with Placid Ferreira, Head, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering – 144 MEB
- 11:30am – 12:30pm: Meet with Chuck Thompson and Jim Hurst – 311 Engineering Hall
- 12:30pm – 1:00pm: Meet with College Executive Committee – 301 Engineering Hall
- 12:30pm – 4:00pm: Lunch and Committee Report Writing Time – 311 Engineering Hall
- 4:00pm – 5:00pm: Presentation to Andreas Cangellaris, IT Governance Committee, Chuck Thompson, and Jim Hurst – 301 Engineering Hall
- 5:00pm – 5:30pm: Final Comments to Andreas Cangellaris (Dean) and Steve Franke (IT Governance chair) – 301 Engineering Hall
- 6:00pm – 9:00pm: Dinner with Chuck Thompson and Jim Hurst – Crane Alley
- Final written report delivered